Sunday, October 22, 2017

10/22

I stand beneath the awning outside of work for a few minutes.  The rain is relentless.  A thick curtain pouring from the fabric above me.

I didn't bring a coat, so I stand in my grey hoodie.  Waiting for the inevitable soaking.  It's then that I notice something sticking out from the door handle of my car.  A piece of white jutting from the black of the handle.

As I move forward and enter the down pour, I imagine an advertisement of some kind awaiting me.  Something about a new restaurant in town.  A coupon for groceries.  Maybe a traffic ticket of sorts.  I pull my hood against the wind.

When I reach my car, I realize it's none of those things though.  And my pulse rises with excitement.  I let my hood go.  Let the rain beat on my forehead.

It's from the girl.  I know it.

The paper was torn from a small notebook, folded into a bow.  The blue ink bleeding through each crease.  I carefully pull it from the handle and get in.

The paper tears immediately as I try to untie the bow.  I grunt in frustration and blast the heat.  Put the note on a vent.  Watch it intently, thinking about pots of boiling water.  My impatience gets the better of me though, and before I know it I'm fiddling again.  Flicking and picking at each fold and groove.  Cursing my thick fingers for not being more sensitive.  Careful.  Dexterous.

But it's worth it when I finally peel the piece fully open and reveal the running words.  Let them penetrate my shelled heart.  Let them take over.  And it's then that I know I'm not as awful as I think am.  Only then that I know there's still beauty and hope and love out there.  Only then that I know it all really is ok.

And I sit like that for some time.  With the note on my lap.  And a warmth in my chest that I could get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment