Wednesday, December 23, 2015

12/23

I flee to the woods.  It's a gray day and there's a fine level of mist in the air I'm certain will get me soaked, but I head out anyway.  Shut down the roaster.  Lock up the warehouse.  And head out.

And it's quite messy, as one would imagine.  My boots slide about in the mud.  Slurp and spat with each step.  And as I'm watching to avoid twisting my ankle on that rock or tripping over that tree root, I hear motion.  I hear the rustle of leaves from up ahead.  

And though I imagine a squirrel running by or a bird poking around on the ground, when I raise my gaze from the forest floor I see a woman approaching me. Her blonde hair is like a lantern amidst the dreary browns of the bare trees.  Her eyes are framed in wide brimmed glasses and she wears baggy blue sweatpants with what I'm assuming was her college university written down the leg.

It takes me a moment to realize I've actually stopped walking to stare at her, but I'm too entranced to move.  As she steps so delicately forward in worn gym sneakers, with her little fingers poised at her lips, my dreams take over. I fixate and fantasize about how soft and warm her flesh must feel against the receptors of her finger tips.  I see myself stepping towards her and taking her in my arms.  Lifting her off the wet leaves and broken twigs.  Holding her tight.  Pulling her in.

And she does lower her hand to smile at me.  She brings it down a few inches and tickles my spine with her attention.  With her brief acknowledgment.

Then she's looking forward.  As she moves so close to me, she's looking forward.  As she avoids that rock and that tree root to get so close.

Then she's beside me.  As she leans right to step left, left to step right.  Arm's reach.

And then behind me.  As she steps on.  Keeps forward.  Away.  Gone.

And I'm stuck with my feet in the mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment