Thursday, December 31, 2015

12/31

I'm seated in the theater.  I'm seated in the dark with a small bag of popcorn in my lap and a soda in my cup holder.  With dozens of other folk all anxiously waiting for the new Star Wars movie to begin.  To be taken to a time long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Then the theater goes black.  John Williams' exhilarating composition fills the room.  The yellow script rolls up the screen.  And everyone goes wild.

But there's a girl a seat down from me.  A tiny thing.  Able to bring her knees to her chest and have the bottoms of her feet on the edge of the chair.  Adorable.  But she rises and leaves a few moments in.  The boy she is dating feebly protests but off she goes.

And I'm not too interested.  I'm focused on the fighter jets and the storm troopers and the energy blasts.  After a little more time the girl returns.  But she doesn't sit next to the boy, as she was before.  She approaches and sits next to me.  Pulls her knees up.  Places her feet on the edge of the chair, but at an angle so the tips of her shoes touch my thigh.

And I'm enticed.  Skin is tingling.  Blood is pumping.  My attention has shifted.  I'm no longer focused on which character is in danger and which plot device is being utilized.  I'm on the white tips of her black sneakers.  On the blonde hair she's rolling between her forefinger and thumb.

Then she's leaning toward me.  Leaning in.  Her hand is moving.  Slowly.  Toward me.  Down into my lap.

And I'm riveted.  I'm shaken.  Lightening bolts are shooting up and down my body.  It actually takes me a minute to realize she's no longer next to me.  That she's seated back, next to the boy.  Knees to chest.  Feet on chair.  

And I've lost my popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment